100 Oak Street
Central Point, Oregon 97502-2238
Grace Church History
48 Years of Ministry in Central Point
The church building, housing Grace Church, is the oldest still functioning as a church in Central Point.
The present congregation is one of several who have used the building on Oak Street. This congregation originally met in Gold Hill, and purchased this building from the Presbyterians who had built it in 1912, renaming it The Oak Street Baptist Church.
Pastor Darrell D. Ervin led their first worship service Easter Sunday, April 15, 1971. In succeeding years, the congregation has undergone several name changes to the present Grace Church. Seven pastors have ministered to and led us. Especially noteworthy, was the extensive remodeling and enlarging of the church building during Pastor Dale Mauck’s tenure. However, the exterior of the church still retains much of its circa 1912 appearance.
The congregation has participated in the Central Point Fourth of July Parade several times and their parade entry in 1989 won a trophy for a scale model of the church building.
In 1990, the property across the street was purchased and is now the church parking lot. Also, in 1990, a ramp addition was dedicated for easy wheelchair access.
During 1994 and 1995, a multi-purpose building was constructed behind the church, and currently is used as the worship center.
A ministry to Alderwood, which is an assisted living facility located directly behind the church, began in the fall of 1995 and continued until the Spring of 2008.
The pastoral history of this church includes:
1. Darrell D. Ervin
2. Henry Peck
3. Norman Holden
4. Rex Smith
5. Dale E. Mauck
6. Damon McCoy
7. Fred DeVos
8. Howard Glosser (Asst Pastor)
Grace Church is affiliated with Conservative Baptist Association of America
Contact the Webmaster